About M.Phil Mathematics
M.Phil in Mathematics course is a two-year long postgraduate degree that deals with the study of Mathematics or Philosophy in Mathematics. M.Phil in Mathematics courses in India offer candidates to set up a career in different types of mathematical fields. Some of the jobs for graduates include performing in finance and mathematics-related occupations such as Banking, Accounting, Financial Services, and Administration.
The course falls under the umbrella of M.Phil, and therefore, follows a similar course structure. According to Wikipedia, “The Master of Philosophy typically includes a taught portion and a significant research portion, during which a thesis project is conducted under supervision. The philosophy of mathematics is the branch of philosophy that studies the assumptions, foundations, and implications of mathematics. It aims to understand the nature of mathematics and find out the place of mathematics in people's lives. The logical and structural nature of mathematics itself makes this study both broad and unique among its philosophical counterparts.”
Why Choose M.Phil Mathematics?
Students often think about M.Phil details before choosing the course. Before deciding on a career, students might come across this question, "Why choose M.Phil Mathematics?”. To clearly understand answers to these questions, we have framed the following three pointers:
What is M.Phil in Mathematics All About?
M.Phil Mathematics is an important and helpful course that provides comprehensive masters job openings in various fields. The main stress is placed on arithmetic throughout the course, which is the study of amount, structure, space, and change. Mathematicians seek out patterns and formulate new conjectures and resolve the truth or falsity of conjectures by mathematical proofs.
What Does a M.Phil Mathematics Graduate Do?
While science professions are centred on science and technology, with M.Phil Mathematics graduates can become Accountants, Economists, Actuaries, Statisticians, and Technicians. The aspirants will have the chance to combine academic learning in practical situations and develop a set of skills that will be appealing to prospective employers. Advertising, Broadcasting, Business, Computing, Journalism, Marketing, Politics, Law, Management, and Teaching are all the career prospects that M.Phil Mathematics graduates can pursue.
Treasury Management Specialist: The position of Treasury Management Specialist is answerable for the acquisition, maintenance, and improvement of the business in Treasury Management. The stress is going to be on implementing sales and promoting a strategy during this position that achieves cross-selling, revenue, and shopper acquisition objectives.
Reasons Why M.Phil Mathematics Can Fetch You a Rewarding Career?
This program is designed to create academic researchers as well as professionals who are capable of conducting various interdisciplinary perspectives. Candidates also make use of the education provided in the degree to go for higher degree programs in respective subjects, E.g. PhD, etc.
Career Scope and Options: The graduates can work in Market Research and Marketing Companies, Banks, Accountancy Firms, Universities, Colleges, and Schools. They can go for various mathematical, audit, commerce, and teaching-related jobs such as Public Administration, Accountancy and Business Services Banking, Investment, and Insurance.
M.Phil Mathematics: Course Highlights
|Eligibility for the program
|Masters in mathematics from a recognized institute.
|Duration of the program
|Average Tuition Fee
|INR 5,000-1 Lakh depending upon the college.
|Average Salary (per annum)
|INR 6-10 Lakhs
|Teacher, Economist, Manager, Loan Officer, etc.
M.Phil Mathematics: Top Colleges
The top colleges of M.Phil in Mathematics:
|Stella Maris College
|Presidency College, Chennai
|Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College, Chennai
|CSJM Kanpur University
|Periyar Maniammai University
|Queen Mary's College, Chennai
|Institute for Excellence in Higher Education
|The IIS University
M.Phil Mathematics: College Comparison
College comparison is important on some basis as about college, eligibility, admission process, average fee, courses, average salary, recruiting companies and job profiles.
|Presidency College Chennai
|University College Thiruvananthapuram
|Presidency College is a college of arts, commerce, and science in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. The Presidency College was founded on October 16, 1840, as the Madras Preparatory School, and later upgraded to a high school, then a graduate college. It is one of India's oldest government arts colleges.
|Thiruvananthapuram University College is a constituent college of the University of Kerala, based primarily in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala's capital. In 2019 and 2020, the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked the college 23rd.
|Loyola College, Chennai is a private Catholic higher education institution in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, operated by the Chennai Province of the Society of Jesus. It was founded in 1925 by Rev Fr Francis Bertram, SJ, a French Jesuit priest, and other European Jesuits.
M.Phil Mathematics Syllabus
|Subjects of Study
|Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability I
|Hydrodynamic and Hydromagnetic Stability II
|Initiation of Magneto convection
|Reformulation of the Simple Benard and Thermohaline Instability Problem
|Limitations of the Complex Wave Velocity in the Instability Problem of Heterogeneous Shear
|Fluid Flow Instability, MHD, Plasmas and Geophysical Fluid Dynamics
|Groups, Rings, and Modules
|Groups & Ideals: A. The Jacobson Radical; B. Semisimple Rings
M.Phil Mathematics: Course Comparison
A lot of students get confused if they should opt directly for a PhD degree or pursue an MPhil course first. To make it easier, we have provided a comparison below.
|M.Phil. It is recognized as a degree of academic science that enables students to become masters in a particular subject and assures sufficient information for further study.
|Ph.D. is globally accredited as the university's highest level of a research degree.
|Duration of Course
|2 years (1-year course work & 1 year’s dissertation submission)
|Three Years (1-year course work 1 year for thesis paper submission)
|Not paid by University
|Paid by university
|Original Created work.
|It offers coursework and dissertation submission.
|It deals with coursework and the new creation of the submission of thesis paperwork.
M.Phil Mathematics: Job Profiles
Many math professions are still focused on business or science and technology, with math graduates employed as accountants, actuaries, statisticians, technicians, economists, or market analysts, to name a few. The aspirant will have the opportunity to combine academic learning in practical situations with placement and develop a set of skills that will be appealing to prospective employers. Advertising, the arts, broadcasting, business, the Civil Service, computing, journalism, marketing, politics, law, management, and teaching are all areas where Philosophy graduates find jobs.
Top Recruiters of M. Phil Mathematics
- L&T Finance
- Aditya Birla Group
- Ascent Capital
- Bajaj Capital
- BSE [Bombay Stock Exchange]
- NSE [National Stock Exchange]
- SBI [State Bank of India]
- SBI Capital Market Limited
- Matrix Partner
- Ministry Of Finance
- PNB Housing Finance Corporation
Job Profiles with description
|Treasury Management Specialist
|The position of Treasury Management Specialist is responsible for the acquisition, maintenance, and improvement of new business in Treasury Management. The emphasis will be on implementing a sales and marketing strategy in this position that achieves market penetration, cross-selling, revenue, and consumer acquisition objectives.
|The work of a research mathematician is varied but mostly includes proving deep and abstract theorems, designing mathematical explanations (models) to describe or forecast specific phenomena, and applying mathematical concepts to recognize patterns in data sets.
|A loan officer assists customers and business people in finding and applying for a loan product. In the loan closure, this person is the key link with the financial institution. A pile of paperwork is needed for most loans and mortgages are the worst.
|Economists are responsible, among other tasks, for evaluating business dynamics, advising organizations and policymakers on economic policies, and designing econometric forecasting models. Complex economic statistics will need to be revealed to non-technical markets by analysts and will require outstanding communication skills.
|The makeup, distribution, and patterns of populations are analyzed by demographers. They also make assumptions, such as fluctuations in birth rates or immigrants, on the causes and consequences of demographic trends. Demographers gather historical data, analyze the data and then forecast potential patterns to detect any trends.
|These people's main job is to concentrate on preparing experiments and aerophysics research. To investigate the suitability of materials and the construction of aircraft, aerospace components, and support equipment, they use the findings of this research.
|An Insurance Consultant decides the number of plans that can be sold for a given time and supervises the success of the sales force in reaching targets. Insurance managers include techniques to maximize revenue, reviews, and marketing strategy growth.
|Teacher, Lecturer, Tutor
|This job deals with the students you have to share knowledge of what you have learned.
Skills That Make You The Best M.Phil Mathematics Graduate
There are people who are passionate about Mathematics and who want to take up Mathematics professionally in the future. M.Phil Mathematics is wide-ranging and deep in the subjects it explores. Some required skills are:
- Analytical Skill
- Critical Thinking Skill
- Communication Skill
- Ability to Manipulate Precise and Intricate Ideas
Scope For Higher Education
After completion of M.Phil Mathematics, the candidates can choose to take up jobs or can continue with their higher studies. An additional degree in the same field improves job opportunities. The graduates can specialize in specific areas in Mathematics. Some higher education options are:
- Ph.D. Mathematics
M.Phil Mathematics: Admission Process
- Candidates Can Also Ensure That They Qualify For The Minimum Necessary Marks Under The Education Qualifying Criterion.
- Candidates Are Recommended To Look At The List Of M.Phil Mathematics Entrance Exams Common To Different Universities.
- In A Fit With The Current Records, Applicants Would Have To Fill Out The Necessary Information.
- Applications For Admissions Can Be Made Available Either From The Website Of The University Or By Visiting The Admissions Office.
- Applicants Applying For The M.Phil Mathematics Program Should Have Their Results From The Respective Entrance Exams Required By The Universities Selected/opted In Advance.
- Admission To The M.Phil Mathematics Curriculum Is Based On Merit And On All Entrance Tests. Some Colleges Offer Both Direct Enrollment And Admission To The Program Depending On Entry. Nonetheless, Few Universities Permit Applicants To Take All Of The Relevant M.Phil Mathematics Entrance Exams.
M.Phil Mathematics: Eligibility Criteria
- The Course Requires A Master's Degree In Science, Humanities, Engineering, Etc.
- In The Subject Chosen For M.Phil, Candidates Need To Obtain 55 Percent Marks. A Course Or An Allied Subject To Be Considered Eligible For The Course At The Postgraduate Level.
- To Measure The Candidate's Expertise, A Written Examination Can Be Administered. In An Interview, Any Who Apply For The Written Exam Would Be Expected To Attend.
- However, The Admission Process And Mode Of Selection For Admission By Distance Learning To The Master Of Philosophy (M.Phil.) Can Differ From One Institute To Another.
M.Phil Mathematics: Entrance Exams
Interested Students Can Apply For The Following Entrance Exams Conducted By Respective Colleges:
Patna Women’s College Entrance Exam-: This Entrance Examination Is Conducted By Patna University For Admission In Various Undergraduate, Post Graduate MPhil, And Ph.D. Course. The Questions Are Of Objective Type.
TISS National Entrance Test-:TISSNET (Tata Institute Of Social Sciences National Entrance Test) Is A National Level Entrance Exam Held By The Tata Institute Of Social Sciences In Mumbai For Admission To Its Postgraduate Programs. The Entrance Exam Is Taken Online, With Questions Ranging From English Proficiency To Mathematical Skills And Logical Reasoning To General Knowledge.
University Of Delhi Entrance Test-: The Delhi University Entrance Test (DUET) Is Carried Out By The University Of Delhi To Give Applicants Admission To Different UG, PG, MPhil, And Ph.D. Programs. The National Entrance Exam Is A Computer-based Examination That Is Administered Online.
Jamia Millia Islamia University Entrance Test-:Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI) University Administers The Jamia Millia Islamia Entrance Exam To Shortlist Applicants For Admission To A Range Of Undergraduate And Graduate Programs. The National Entrance Exam Is Held In A Paper-and-pencil Format At Different Examination Centers.
Banaras Hindu University Entrance Test-:To Give Admission To Different UG, PG, And Study Programs, Banaras Hindu University Conducts UET, PET, And RET. Applicants Must Apply For The Admission Exam In Order To Be Admitted To The University In Management, Law, Humanities, Commerce, And Various Other Fields.
Preparation Tips For M.Phil Mathematics
Some Of The Course Preparation Tips For The M.Phil Mathematics Course Is Listed Below:
Know The Syllabus And Exam Pattern: To Prepare Really Well For The Entrance Exams The Students Should Be Aware Of The Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Types Of Questions, And The Books To Get The Knowledge That Is Required.
Practice Question Papers: Practice By Solving All Previous Years’ Papers To Understand The Type And The Patterns Of Questions Asked. It Massively Helps To Improve And Performance On The Day Of The Exam.
Take Mock Tests: Solving A Lot Of Mock Tests Can Help Graduates Gain Accuracy And Speed.
Prepare Time Table: Complete Preparation Well In Advance. This Will Ensure That The Students Will Have Enough Time For Revision Of The Content.
Why to Study?
There are many reasons why you might want to study M.Phil Mathematics. Here are a few:
- To pursue a career in mathematics research. If you are passionate about mathematics and want to make a career out of it, an M.Phil is a great way to start. This degree will give you the skills and knowledge you need to conduct independent research in mathematics.
- To improve your skills in mathematics and statistics. Even if you don't plan on pursuing a career in mathematics research, an M.Phil can still be a valuable investment. This degree will help you to improve your skills in mathematics and statistics, which can be useful in a variety of other fields, such as finance, economics, and computer science.
- To gain a deeper understanding of mathematics. Whether you are a mathematics enthusiast or simply curious about the subject, an M.Phil can help you to gain a deeper understanding of mathematics. This degree will give you the opportunity to study a variety of topics in mathematics in depth, and to learn from some of the leading experts in the field.
If you are considering studying M.Phil Mathematics, I encourage you to do your research and find a program that is a good fit for you. There are many excellent programs available, and the right program can help you to achieve your goals.
Here are some of the benefits of studying M.Phil Mathematics:
- Advanced knowledge and skills in mathematics. An M.Phil in Mathematics will give you a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. This knowledge will be valuable in a variety of careers, including research, teaching, and business.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Mathematics is a discipline that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills. These skills are essential for success in many fields, and an M.Phil in Mathematics will help you to develop them.
- Research experience. If you are interested in a career in research, an M.Phil in Mathematics can give you the experience you need to succeed. Many M.Phil programs require students to complete a research project, which can give you valuable experience in conducting independent research.
- Networking opportunities. An M.Phil in Mathematics can give you the opportunity to network with other mathematicians and professionals. These connections can be helpful for your future career.