About MD - Patholog
MD Pathology is a postgraduate degree in medicine and diagnostics/ the study of disease. The eligibility for this course is MBBS Degree from an institution recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) with minimum aggregate marks as required by the institute.
- This specialty addresses the main 3 components of disease – cause, mechanism of development or origin, consequences of changes.
- The branch deals with diagnostic, testing and treatment methods using genetic technologies, thus underpinning the concept of patient care and prevention of diseases. Physicians practicing pathology are called pathologists.
- They generally work with other doctors, scientists, and health professionals in hospitals and clinics to diagnose, treat and prevent diseases.
- The process of pathology is quite simple, mapping the overall response of the body to any foreign influence, i.e. antigen or disease. Subsequently, this knowledge is used to diagnose and treat illnesses.
- Pathologists compare the normal structure and function (cell count, blood) of a human body to the abnormal structure and function observed when a person is not well.
What is MD Pathology All About?
An MD Pathology duration is a three-year-old doctorate course that focuses on developing the skills and techniques of a pathology student. An MD Pathology is a medical science and technology domain that correlates with pathology principles. The MD Pathology course is an advanced version of the medical field with a demanding vision. This course is mainly one of the core branches of medical science. The technological advancement in this field is also developing day by day.
What Does an MD Pathology Post Graduate Do?
MD Pathology doctorate holds a Ph.D. degree in Pathology, a good career option. The MD in Pathology degree can open the door to many new and exciting jobs. A career in dental science means that aspirants can make a career in the medical field. Here are some qualities which an MD Pathology doctorate does.
|Doctorate of Medicine in Pathology
|No age limit as such
|INR 42,000 - 12.3 LPA
|Similar Options of Study
|MD (Anatomy), MD (Microbiology), MD (Community Medicine), MD (Psychiatry) etc
|INR 10 LPA [Source:Glassdoor]
|Pathologist, Discovery Breeder, Research Assistant, Professor/Associate Professor - Pathology, Business Dev Executive - Pathology, Lab Technician, OP Guest Relationship Executive, Pathology Code etc
|Non-Profit Organizations, Nursing Homes, Government, and Private Hospitals and Clinics, Academic Institutions, Private Clinics, Government Agencies, AIIMS, Apollo, Fortis, Max, BLK Hospital
Top 10 MD Pathology Colleges in India
Top MD Pathology colleges in India and abroad offer courses in doctorate degrees to students interested in learning applications related to science. Some of the very best colleges for MD Pathology colleges in India are as follows:
Top MD Pathology Colleges in India
Name of the College
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research
Kasturba Medical College
St. John's Medical College
Stanley Medical College
Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences
Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
Aligarh Muslim University
Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth University
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research
Top MD Pathology Colleges in Indian States
There are numerous reputed colleges in India which offer MD in Pathology degree or post graduation in pathology courses. Here we have mentioned some of them.
|Grant Medical College
|SETH GS Medical College
|Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College
|TATA Memorial Centre
|Topiwala National College
|Maulana Azad Medical College
|Jamia Hamdard University
|Lady Hardinge Medical College
|R G Kar Medical College
|St. John’s Medical College
|Ramaiah Medical College
|Dr DY Patil VIdhyapeeth
|Maharashtra Institute of Medical Education
|Bharati Bidhyapeeth Deemed University
Career opportunities in the field of pathology abound since there are multiple specialties in pathology, and a postgraduate can choose to specialize in any of the areas such as histopathology, cytopathology, clinical pathology, and immunohistochemical techniques, and work under the supervision of some of the best pathologists.
- They may even set up their own private clinics known as diagnostic laboratories. Pathologists are lucratively recruited in the private/ corporate sectors/ hospitals and are paid in the range of INR 60 to 80,000 per month.
- Typically, pathologists function in 3 broad areas- as diagnosticians in hospitals; investigators or researchers in medical laboratories, and as teachers in colleges and universities.
- Successful postgraduates of the discipline work as Specialists in any of the sub-branches of pathology such as surgical pathology, clinical pathology, anatomical pathology, veterinary pathology, molecular pathology, plant pathology, and forensic pathology.
- They may also choose to work as consultants to doctors or medical examiners. Employment opportunities for experienced professionals in this field are also open in universities, laboratories, and hospitals.
- They are employed in areas of public health, law enforcement, government agencies, among other fields. Additionally, they may even step into research and pursue a Ph. D in any specialized branch of pathology.
- As a fresh postgraduate, pathologists earn about INR 8000 to Rs.12000 monthly. With experience, the salary increases to INR15,000 to 22,000 monthly. In private hospitals, they may earn about INR 3,00,000 to 3,50,000 yearly in the beginning.
MD Pathology Fees structure ranges from INR 1 - 12 LPA. The fee for the course may vary depending upon the facilities and amenities provided at the college/university and the level of education offered.
MD Pathology Fee Structure
Fees Per Annum
Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune
INR 4 Lakhs
St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore
INR 9 Lakhs
Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi
INR 3 Lakhs
Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College, Mumbai
INR 1 Lakhs
Maharashtra Institute of Medical Education, Pune
INR 8 LPA
|Subjects of Study
Syllabus and Subjects for MD Pathology
The syllabus and subjects for the MD Pathology course are structured in such a way so that the students get a better understanding of different subjects of the course, which are necessary for them to emphasize their knowledge in various domains. The MD Pathology in India has multiple seminars, Class discussions, lectures, workshops, conferences, assignments, and research submissions. Some of the essential subjects of the MD Pathology course are:
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
MD Pathology subjects list and electives consist of an in-depth medical science syllabus, emphasizing doctorates' knowledge. In addition to that, a MD Pathology course imparts specific practical, laboratory, and theoretical knowledge in the subject areas to the students, such as science, dental, health care, projects, dissertation, training, and so on.
Semester Wise Syllabus of MD Pathology
MD Pathology is a semester-wise syllabus. MD Pathology course aims to introduce students to various techniques that medical doctors use to treat patients better. MD syllabus mainly concentrates on core subjects, while other subjects help students gain theoretical and practical experience in the medical field. The MD covers Anatomy, Anesthesia, Aerospace Medicine, Biochemistry, Dermatology, ENT, Forensic Medicine, Geriatrics, General Surgery, Ophthalmology, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Orthopedics, and many more. The syllabus for MD Pathology semester wise are:
MD Pathology First Year Syllabus
Applied Basic Science Knowledge
Biostatistics And Clinical Epidemiology
Diseases Concerning General Medicine
Diagnostic Investigation And Procedures
Recent Advances in Medicine
MD Pathology Second Year Syllabus
Monitoring Ill Patients
Counseling Patients and Relatives
Ward Patient Management
OPD Patient Management
MD Pathology Third Year Syllabus
Ward Rounds, Case Presentations, and Discussions
PG Case Presentation Skills
Clinico- Radiological and Clinicopathological Conferences
MD Pathology Subjects
The MD Pathology subjects like Anatomy, Anesthesia, Aerospace Medicine, Biochemistry, Dermatology, ENT, Forensic Medicine, Geriatrics, General Surgery, Ophthalmology, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Orthopedics, etc. taught in the course curriculum. The subjects in MD Pathology are necessary for the doctorates to expand their knowledge in the practical and theoretical aspects, which will be beneficial for them to get a better scope in jobs in India and abroad on behalf of their skills.
- Community Medicine
- Forensic Medicine
- MD Pathology
- MD Community Medicine
- MD General Science
- MD Microbiology
- MD Physiology
The MD Pathology syllabus and course curriculum is structured into 3 years and six semesters, namely core and elective subjects. The course for the curriculum has been divided into six semesters, consisting of Medical autopsy: Techniques and interpretation, Recent advances in all fields, related to Pathology, Organization of laboratories including quality control, Systemic pathology, Haematology, etc. Some of the MDS course details are:
- VI Branches
- Core subjects
- Practical and Laboratory
MD Pathology Teaching Methodology and Techniques
The MD Pathology doctorate course curriculum includes various teaching methods and techniques that help students understand multiple topics taught in their classes. Some of the different teaching methodologies and techniques adopted in the course curriculum of the MDS doctorate course are as follows:
- Practical & Laboratory sessions
- The emphasis of Practical Learning
- Designing cost-effective and straightforward experiments.
- Guest Lectures, Seminars, and Workshop
- Group Assignment and Discussion
- Learning through Industrial Visit
- Research & Development
Project Topics for MD in Pathology is a fantastic resource for students and researchers who will become doctors in the medical field and looking to complete ground-breaking research. The students can take the MD Pathology project topics based on their subjects and syllabus, motivating them to develop additional knowledge to complete the project work. Some of the best topics for MD Pathology is:
- Epidemics versus pandemics
- Child health care
- Medical humanitarian missions in the developing world
- Homeopathic medicines – the placebo effect
- Virus infections – causes and treatment
- Is medical research on animals ethical
Best books for MD Pathology help students understand various subjects and topics covered in the course curriculum. The MD Pathology books help doctorates expand their knowledge and vision about multiple topics covered in their classes. Some of the best books for this course are:
MD Pathology Books
|The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
|Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine
J. Larry Jameson, MD, Ph.D., Anthony S. Fauci, MD, Dennis L. Kasper, MD, et al
Atlas Of Human Anatomy
Frank H. Netter, MD
|Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
|The White Coat Investor: A Doctor's Guide to Personal Finance and Investing
James M. Dahle, M
Admission Process for MD Pathology
The admission process for MD Pathology in India is carried out either from the college premises or online. The admission process for the course is undertaken strictly based on the scores from MBBS degree courses corresponding to that of science or any science-related courses and the scores obtained in the entrance exams. Listed below are the various procedures to get admission for the course details:
Admission to MD Pathology is based on a national level entrance examination- National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test.
- NEET PG which is a single window entrance examination to MD/MS/PG diploma courses in medicine in India. Candidates who have secured the qualifying percentile for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) are eligible.
- National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test (NEET) PG – NEET PG is an eligibility-cum-ranking examination, conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), for admission to MS/MD and PG Diploma courses in India in Medical/ Dental Colleges running with the approval of the Medical Council of India/ Dental Council of India.
- Candidates who have completed BSc. Pathology, can pursue MSc. Pathology to later on pursue MD Pathology.
- The examination is a computer based 300 multiple choice questions exam delivered on a computer based platform (CBT).
- The selection is made entirely on the basis of merit obtained in the entrance test and the choice of discipline allocated on the basis of personal counseling.
- The application submission dates for MD Pathology are still open at AIIMS and Jawaharlal Institute, while many have closed the application dates such as PGIMER.
- There are other colleges such as CMC Vellore, BHU, JIPMER, and Aligarh Muslim University. These are some of the best universities in India for MD pathology courses.
- Some of the applications are yet to be released, the notifications for them will be updated here.
How to Apply?
The aspirants eager to study MD Pathology can apply online or offline for the course. The aspirants can apply for the course by downloading an admission form available online at the university or on the college website. After submitting the college or university application form, the aspirants will be invited to appear for a written test, personal interview, group discussion, and counseling.
The selection process for the course is carried out based on the entrance exam score relating to science or any other discipline and the marks scored in 10+2+3 along with the MBBS degree marks scored to that of the course. After which, the university or college conducts a written test, personal interview, counseling, and group discussion, the aspirants are allocated seats based on various eligibility Science criteria fulfilled by the aspirants proposed by the college/university officials.
Eligibility Criteria for MD Pathology
Admission for the MD Pathology course in India requires the aspirants to complete their course corresponding to MBBS, Post Graduation, Bachelor's degree in Science with a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in completion of an MBBS degree. Also, the students pursuing the course must have cleared the standard entrance examination with good scores from any reputed institute to get admission. Furthermore, there is no specific age limit or criteria for admission.
Typically, to pursue an MD degree, candidates need to satisfy the eligibility criteria mentioned below:
- Candidates should have obtained an MBBS Degree from an institution recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- Candidates should have completed a 1- year compulsory rotating internship after passing the final professional examination which is MBBS before 30th April of the academic year.
- Candidates in possession of an MBBS degree or Provisional MBBS Pass Certificate recognized by the Indian Medical Council Act 1956, besides a permanent or provisional registration certificate of MBBS qualification issued by the Medical Council of India or State Medical Council and having completed 1 year of internship.
- They are likely to complete the internship on or before 31st March or 31st April of the relevant year, and may apply for NEET-PG through the online application system.
Entrance Exams for MD Pathology
There are many entrance exams for the MD Pathology course in India for which the students can attend. Appearing for entrance exams is an essential criterion and a good merit score from the MBBS degree. The doctorates can grab a seat for the course in a reputed college or university. Some of the very best and mandatory entrance exams are:
- DNB CET
- NEET PG
- AIIMS PG
Quick Glance At the MD Pathology Entrance Exams
The MD Pathology eligibility criteria for entrance exams depends entirely on the colleges and universities that conduct the exam. The entrance examinations conducted for the course details include various MBBS subjects and clinical, pre-clinical, and para-clinical subjects to analyze the aspirants' knowledge and abilities regarding the course as a whole. The test includes:
- MCQ with objective-type questions with a negative marking system.
- The entrance exam is conducted in English, and the total time to complete the exam is 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Eight hundred marks are allotted.
- Most of the questions in the entrance exams are merely related to MBBS subjects and clinical, pre-clinical, and para-clinical subjects curriculum.
Preparation Tips For MD Pathology
A MD Pathology students can prepare themselves by learning the basics of MBBS. Students wishing to pursue this career path should be well prepared for it. Students can take this course regardless of the type of study they prefer, but they must understand the exam topics before taking the exam. Here are some tips students can follow to get into this MD program:
Knowledge of the Course: Learn about the course's syllabus and subjects. Understanding the curriculum can help you choose the right career path. To make an informed decision on whether this medicine sector will be beneficial to your career growth, you should also be familiar with the course.
Improving the Skills: Before applying to this course, make sure you have the skills to help you get into the course. You can access this course more easily if you improve your skills and medical knowledge skills. Improve your communication and learning skills to understand this course better.
Proficiency: For students to complete this course, they should have a solid understanding of medicine. Those with medical experience and a greater interest can also benefit from this course after completing it.
Reasons Why MD Pathology Can Fetch You a Rewarding Career:
An MD degree can lead to rewarding career growth in both the public and private sectors. One of the most popular medical degrees in recent years is the MD Pathology. The course provides skills and knowledge necessary for starting as a medical doctor and a private consultant for career growth and development. With the advent of modern technology and the onset of the medical era, students can easily find medical fields after completing this postgraduate course.
Demand: MD Pathology is in need as they are the developers of new advancements in medical health care. They have ample opportunities in jobs and globally to any area of talent.
Why Choose MD Pathology?
MD Pathology doctorates are highly demanding in the medical branch of pathology. An MDS degree can lead to a variety of new and intriguing opportunities. Therefore, an MD Pathology doctorate course has always been popular, which is reasonably significant. This course helps to master practical knowledge of problems related to medical science. In today's medical world, everything from health to treatment is based on medical principles.