What is DM Neurology?
Doctorate of Medicine in Neurology is a three year super – specialty post doctorate course in the field of medicine. In the study of this course, students undergo a rigorous clinical training, which includes seminars, journal clubs, bedside clinics and take part in interdepartmental meetings.
DM Neurology Course deals with the study of disorders of the nervous system and finding remedies. Aspirants who have completed Doctor of Medicine (MD) in any branch can apply for DM Neurology. Admissions for this course are taken through an entrance test. Many reputed colleges and universities offer this course in India.
DM Neurology course has been inspected and approved by the Medical Council of India. The subjects under study are Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology, Pediatric Neurology, NeuroRadiology, Neuro ophthalmology, Neuro Biochemistry, Neuropathology, Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology, Neuro Pharmacology and others. The candidate will develop essential skills for diagnosing and providing therapeutic interventions to treat diseases. The student learns about treating diseases concerned with the central nervous system of the human body.
DM Neurology course fees range between INR 50,000 - 2 lacs for the total duration. The probable salaries offered to successful postgraduates in DM Neurology are between 10-15 lacs per annum.
DM Neurology Course Highlights
|Duration of the Course
||MD/MS from a recognized university
||Direct admission to colleges. However, some colleges may check student’s skills through an entrance test.
||INR 50,000 - 2 Lacs
|Average Starting Salary
||INR 10 Lacs- 15 Lacs
|Top Recruiting Organizations’
||Medanta Hospital, Apollo Super Speciality Hospital, AIIMS, GMC, etc.
|Top Recruiting Areas’
||Neuro Centers, Hospitals, Clinics, Research Centers, Academics, etc.
|Top Job Profiles
||Neurologist, Neuro Physician, NeuroSurgeon, etc.
- DM in Neurology is a postgraduate medical degree program that trains doctors to diagnose and treat disorders of the nervous system.
- The program covers a wide range of topics, including the anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, and pathology of the nervous system, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of neurological disorders.
- DM in Neurology graduates are qualified to work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics, and research institutes.
- The job prospects for DM in Neurology graduates are good, and the salary is also competitive.
The syllabus for DM in Neurology varies from institution to institution. However, some of the common topics covered in the program include:
- Anatomy of the nervous system
- Physiology of the nervous system
- Biochemistry of the nervous system
- Pathology of the nervous system
- Clinical neurology
The fee for DM in Neurology varies from institution to institution. However, the average fee for the program is around INR 2 lakhs per year.
The skills required for DM in Neurology include:
- Strong academic skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Interest in research
The cut off for DM in Neurology varies from institution to institution. However, the average cut off for the program is around 60%.
There are a number of specializations available in DM in Neurology, including:
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson's disease
- Alzheimer's disease
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Neurodegenerative disorders
Some of the top recruiters for DM in Neurology graduates include:
- Government agencies
- Research institutes
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Non-profit organizations
The salary for DM in Neurology graduates varies depending on their experience and the setting in which they work. However, the average salary for DM in Neurology graduates is around INR 10 lakhs per year.
Some of the job profiles available for DM in Neurology graduates include:
- Neurorehabilitation specialist
Career Opportunities and Job Prospects
DM in Neurology graduates can work in a variety of settings, including:
- Research institutes
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Non-profit organizations
The job prospects for DM in Neurology graduates are good, and the salary is also competitive.
DM in Neurology graduates can work in a variety of employment areas, including:
- Clinical practice
Top Colleges in India
Some of the top colleges in India that offer DM in Neurology include:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bengaluru
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore
- Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Delhi
DM Neurology Admission Process
The admission process for DM in Neurology varies from college to college. However, the common steps involved in the admission process include:
Check the eligibility criteria: The first step is to check the eligibility criteria for the program. The eligibility criteria vary from college to college. However, the common eligibility criteria for the program include:
- MBBS degree from a recognized university
- Valid registration with the Medical Council of India
- Good academic record
- Good communication skills
- Interest in research
Apply for the entrance exam: The next step is to apply for the entrance exam. The entrance exam is conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE). The exam is for admission into postgraduate medical courses, including DM in Neurology.
Clear the entrance exam: The candidates who clear the entrance exam are shortlisted for the interview. The interview is usually conducted by a panel of experts. The interview is to assess the candidate's knowledge, skills, and suitability for the program.
Clear the interview: The candidates who clear the interview are finally selected for admission into the DM in Neurology program.
The application process for DM in Neurology varies from college to college. However, the common steps involved in the application process include:
Visit the official website of the college: The first step is to visit the official website of the college. The website will have all the information about the program, including the eligibility criteria, the entrance exam, and the application process.
Download the application form: The next step is to download the application form from the website. The application form will have to be filled in and submitted along with the required documents.
Pay the application fee: The application fee will have to be paid along with the application form. The application fee varies from college to college.
Submit the application form: The application form along with the required documents will have to be submitted to the college. The last date for submission of the application form is usually mentioned in the application form.
DM Neurology Eligibility?
Aspiring Neurologists who wish to study DM Neurology can opt for this course after completing the following trajectory:
- The students must have completed their 10+2 level of schooling with subjects like biology, chemistry and physics
- The student must have successfully completed their MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a reputed college or institution. MBBS is a 5½ years course and includes a one-year internship period as well.
DM Neurology Entrance Exams
NIMHANS DM Neurology Entrance Exam:
- Conducted twice a year i.e. in January and the July session.
- The test is of 90 minutes and has 100 marks worth of MCQs.
- 1 mark is awarded for every correct answer while 0.25 marks are deducted for each incorrect answer.
- It contains questions from subjects common to the MBBS curriculum, much similar to AIIMS PG and JIPMER PG.
- 60% weightage is given to MBBS subjects and 40% to general neurology questions.
See Also: MPT Neurology Course
- Single Correct: +1 and -?
- Multiple True-False: +? for each correct alternative and -? for each incorrect alternative
- Match the following: +¼ for correct and -¼ for incorrect
- Sequential arrangement: +1 and -1
- Multiple Completion: +1 and -¼
- Reason-assertion: +1 and -¼
- Extended matching: +½ and -½
- Candidates are required to accept a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) before starting the examination.
- Candidates will get the benefit of a Demo Test 15 minutes before starting the examination which will give them the complete idea about the structure of the original NEET PG Exam Pattern and candidates may navigate between the questions via the Review Screen.
- All the subjects taught in the MBBS course will come in the exam including para-clinical, pre-clinical and clinical.
How to Preparetion DM Neurology?
Reasons of studying DM Neurology are mentioned below:
- Neurologist lack implies request is high: As indicated by The Lancet, a week by week peer-audited clinical diary, there is a major deficiency of nervous system specialists. "An ongoing report by the USA's National Center for Health Workforce Analysis gauges that while the gracefully of US nervous system specialists may have developed by 11 percent somewhere in the range of 2013 and 2025, requests will have developed by 16 percent. So how would we train more nervous system specialists? What's more, are there any options to just expand their number?" composes The Lancet. "With the quickly increasing paces of cerebrum illnesses, for example, dementia and stroke simultaneously as the quantity of US clinical inhabitants picking neurology over different claims to fame is unmistakably declining, the US could confront an emergency," said Thomas R. Vidic, MD, with Elkhart Clinic in Elkhart, Indiana and a Fellow with the American Academy of Neurology. "Our investigation found that significant delay times for patients to see a nervous system specialist and trouble discovering nervous system specialists to fill empty positions are adding to the current national deficiency. What's more, the interest for nervous system specialists is required to develop as individuals gain inclusion through social insurance change."
Get the job done to say the interest for nervous system specialists is high. On the off chance that you choose to have practical experience in this field, you will probably not experience any difficulty making sure about an occupation.
- Grant and fellowship opportunities: Subsidizing advanced education, particularly clinical school and claims to fame, for example, neurology, can be testing. Notwithstanding, because of the popularity for this field, planned nervous system specialists will find that there are adequate subsidizing, grant openings, and associations for qualified competitors. For instance, in the same way as other clinical schools, Stanford's Clinical Neurology and Neuroscience division offers both clinical neurology associations just as neuroscience corporations. Doing your examination and finding the best fit for your neurology program additionally implies searching for monetary help. Have confidence there are numerous grant and cooperation chances to assist you with propelling your profession in neurology.
See Also: M.Ch NeuroSurgery Course
Profoundly compensating profession: "Numerous neurologists have shared throughout the years that they appreciate the field of neurology in view of the wide assortment of conditions they see and maladies they treat, just as the new disclosures being made in the field," reports Andrea Clement Santiago from Very Well Health. Nervous system specialists, by and large, are continually tested and remunerated in their vocations. They are issue solvers, working in a relentless, progressively energizing condition. "Besides, doctors who need a forte that is to some degree system situated, yet additionally like an office-based practice (for example they would prefer not to essentially be a specialist working in an OR full-time) likewise appreciate neurology," includes Santiago. You'll have a genuine effect and a distinction in such a significant number of individuals' lives as a nervous system specialist.
Rewarding Salary and Opportunities to Work Abroad: Beside feeling remunerated in your profession as a neurologist, you'll likewise be very much made up for your difficult work. Medscape, an exhaustive online asset for clinical understudies and clinical experts reports reliable significant compensations for guaranteed nervous system specialists. Your compensation will be reliant on your specialty, clinical exploration venture, qualifications, just as area, yet nervous system specialists in the US can hope to make a normal six-figure pay and pay rates are tantamount in numerous nations. Whoever said instruction doesn't pay isn't right!
Being paid well is unquestionably an advantage. Another preferred position of turning into a nervous system specialist is the chance to work abroad. Because of the general lack of nervous system specialists on the planet, openings for work exist everywhere throughout the world. You can move to an unfamiliar nation and appreciate life as an expat in a wonderful area.
Alternatives for Non-Medical Careers: Intrigued by neurology, however would prefer not to work in medication? Forget about it. Neuroscience is a various field with numerous non-clinical professions accessible. You can investigate, study minds, run clinical preliminaries, and even become a hereditary advocate. This is a front line work that permits neuroscientists to consider conditions like birth surrenders and hereditary issues. You'll have the option to dive profound into research in these neuroscience-related fields. Lawn Brains, an association that advances neuroscience outreach occasions, is another case of how you can effectively utilize your neurology qualification.
Considering neurology will open up such huge numbers of intriguing and remunerating professions that open doors for you. As a forthcoming clinical understudy, you should consider having some expertise in this part of medication. neurology understudies consistently find the mysteries of our boundlessly unpredictable and unbelievable personalities, making it an entrancing field of study and profession.
- To help people with neurological disorders. Neurology is the medical specialty that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the nervous system. As a neurologist, you would have the opportunity to help people with a wide range of neurological conditions, including Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and stroke.
- To learn about the nervous system. The nervous system is one of the most complex and fascinating systems in the human body. A DM in Neurology would give you the opportunity to learn about the anatomy, physiology, and pathology of the nervous system in great detail.
- To conduct research in neurology. Neurology is a rapidly evolving field, and there is a great need for research in this area. A DM in Neurology would give you the skills and knowledge you need to conduct research in neurology, and to make a real difference in the lives of people with neurological disorders.
- To have a rewarding career. A career in neurology can be very rewarding. You would have the opportunity to help people with some of the most challenging medical conditions, and to make a real difference in their lives.
If you are interested in helping people with neurological disorders, learning about the nervous system, conducting research in neurology, or having a rewarding career, then a DM in Neurology may be the right choice for you.